Thursday, November 20, 2008

Other People's Houses

On the day the woman comes
to wash my floors
once a week
I hide my shoes
my 4 or 5 pairs of shoes
that seem such an extravagance
because I've never had 4 or 5 pairs all at once before.
Not because I think she will take them
but because I remember what it was like
to have other people's wealth in my face --
their jackets and bags casually dropped here and there
as if they cost nothing --
when I went to other people's houses
to clean or type for them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful hopeful moving sad -- a whole world in this short poem. I am grateful for it.

Anonymous said...

That woman probably has more than four or five pairs of shoes on her own closet. Besides, maybe she has learned the life lesson that material wealth does not bring happiness. It may bring a bit more comfort, but not lasting happiness. Trust me. I've been there and done that.